Challenge and nurture our children cognitively and to equip them with an analytical and creative mind.
To create a rich and conducive environment for children to learn Mandarin as their first language and adapt a holistic approach towards education.
What we are specialised in
HGK Theme-Based Curriculum
Our children learn and explore different activities that are linked together by the content in themes across the year. Each theme that runs through one term of 10 weeks is carefully selected to match the needs and interests of children from Nursery to Kindergarten 2.
The goals of our HGK curriculum are to nurture our children to become confident, keen and self-directed learners where they learn through explicit instructions, exploring, problem solving and intentional play.
The Building Blocks of Our English Language and Literacy Curriculum
- Reading aloud a variety of texts to our children allows them to listen to new ideas, new vocabulary words and new sentences that help them connect oral to written language.
- Through show and tell, picture talk and retelling of stories, our children can express their thoughts and ideas, ask and respond to questions.
- Phonemic awareness and phonics instructions enable our children to recognise words, blend and segment words and read with fluency through language games and activities.
- Beginning from the emergent stage of nursery children scribbling, forming letters and words and gradually to the kindergarten children writing of short sentences and creative writing pieces.
The Building Blocks of Our Numeracy Curriculum
- The order in which numeracy concepts and skills taught in topics are organised in a developmental progression. Each topic is built on the prior knowledge of previous learnt concepts and skills.
- Using concrete and pictorial materials as a bridge to acquire and practise concepts taught.
- Exploration of these concepts at our children’s own pace to help them make connections between new ideas and what they already know and understand.
- Teaching the mathematical language and vocabulary explicitly so that our children can talk about the mathematics they use, describe their thinking process of how to approach and solve problems.
- Nurturing our children to have positive attitudes towards the learning of mathematics with learning dispositions like perseverance and inventiveness.
HGK IN-CURRICULUM – SCIENCE INQUIRY
Children are natural scientists. They are curious and enjoy exploring and investigating to find out more about the world around them.
Science Inquiry capitalises the children’s curiosity to use their own senses, to be more observant in their daily lives and to ask questions that lead to increased understanding of the world that they live in.
Tools and real-life things like magnifying glass and torch are provided to help children gain basic science concepts and skills in different kinds of science e.g. light and shadow in physical science and the oxidisation of fruit in food science.
Our Pre-School. Our Family. Our Community
The young mind is thirsty for new experiences, to be challenged and to be engaged. We empower children by their learning, not only to facilitate the acquisition of skills and concepts but the process of developing a positive self-image, and inculcate positive attitudes towards learning. Here are some of the curriculum in the programme.